Cinnamon Apple Breakfast Bowls
This delicious recipe from Pamela Salzman is one of my favorite breakfast bowls! The sautéd apples make it sweet and the extra protein gives you the energy you need to start your day. Get the recipe below!
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Recipe Type: Breakfast
- Serves: 2
- 2 teaspoons unrefined virgin coconut oil
- 2 apples, any variety, unpeeled, cored and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup unsweetened apple juice or water
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- Add some protein: a drizzle of nut or seed butter, or dollop of dairy-free yogurt
- Add something crunchy: chopped nuts, seeds, toasted coconut, pomegranate seeds, GF/DF granola
- 1. Warm the coconut oil in a 9- or 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the apple chunks to the skillet and sauté until lightly golden brown on all sides, 5 to 6 minutes.
- 2. Add the juice, cinnamon and a pinch of salt and increase the heat to high so that the juice simmers, stirring the apples occasionally. Cook until the juice is almost all evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes. The apples should be tender, but not falling apart. Remove from the heat.
- 3. Serve with your favorite protein and crunchy add-ins. My favorites are a drizzle of almond butter, pomegranate seeds, hemp seeds and toasted coconut flakes.
Recipe from: "Kitchen Matters" by Pamela Salzman