This pie is delicious alone or topped off with a small scoop of whipped coconut cream. The crust is gluten-free—not that you can even tell! If you're lucky, there will be leftovers for the day after Thanksgiving!
12 tablespoons cold organic vegan butter
3 cups gluten-free flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup organic vegetable shortening
6-8 tablespoon cold water
1 15 ounce can of organic pumpkin purée
3 eggs beaten
1/2 cup coconut cream
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Dash of sea salt
1. With a pastry cutter, blend the butter, shortening, flour and salty until mealy.
2. Add 4 tablespoons ice water; work with hands until dough comes together. Add more water if necessary.
3. Roll out to ¼-inch thick. Carefully lay in in 9-inch pie tin. Trim the edges, leaving about ¼ of an inch around and fold to create the crust.
4. If desired, use a cookie cutter to make leaf-motif trim out of the dough for the perimeter of the crust.
5. Prebake the crust for 15 minutes, topped with aluminum foil.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir until well blended.
3. Pour in pie plate pastry dough and bake for 50-60 minutes or until pumpkin custard is set.
4. Let cool completely before serving.