Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie
Just a small slice ... or two!
This pie is delicious alone or topped off with a small scoop of whipped coconut cream. The crust is gluten-free—not that you can even tell! If you're lucky, there will be leftovers for the day after Thanksgiving!
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Recipe Type: Dessert
- Serves: 6-8
- 12 tablespoons cold organic vegan butter
- 3 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup organic vegetable shortening
- 6-8 tablespoon cold water
- 1 15 ounce can of organic pumpkin purée
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash of sea salt
- FOR CRUST:
- 1. With a pastry cutter, blend the butter, shortening, flour and salty until mealy.
- 2. Add 4 tablespoons ice water; work with hands until dough comes together. Add more water if necessary.
- 3. Roll out to ¼-inch thick. Carefully lay in in 9-inch pie tin. Trim the edges, leaving about ¼ of an inch around and fold to create the crust.
- 4. If desired, use a cookie cutter to make leaf-motif trim out of the dough for the perimeter of the crust.
- 5. Prebake the crust for 15 minutes, topped with aluminum foil.
- FOR FILLING:
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir until well blended.
- 3. Pour in pie plate pastry dough and bake for 50-60 minutes or until pumpkin custard is set.
- 4. Let cool completely before serving.
Photography by Ivan Solis for Kourtney Kardashian